Inti Raymi, the Festival of the Sun, is celebrated in Cusco every year on the 24th of June where more than 200 thousand people come together to witness the most beatiful re-enactment of the most important festival of the Inca empire to celebrate the winter solstice; the beginning of the Sun's New Year. The solstice begins on the 21st of June, but according to a sundial used by the Incas, the sun stays some days in the same place before rising on the 24th of June. This day is acknowledged as the New Year: Inti Raymi!
The Inti Raymi is now the second largest festival on the South American continent and for this reason you must book this tour well in advance. A weeklong celebration begins prior to the new year festivities with concerts and street fairs. This part is less about tradition and more focused on fun. Lose yourself in song and dance at Cuzco’s Plaza de Armas while sampling local Peruvian cuisine and just generally absorbing the good times.
SETTINGS FOR THE INTI RAYMI CEREMONY:
The celebration of the “Inti Raymi” on June 24th , in honor of the Sun God, is made in the three historic and natural sceneries:
1.- The “QORIKANCHA” or the temple of the Sun of the Incas; here the celebration begins at 9:00am and last for 45 minutes.
2.- The “Plaza de Armas”, “HAUQAYPATA” or the main square; in the time of the Incas this vast square was used for important ceremonies, which took place entirely in the great “ushnu” or ceremonial platform. The ceremony here begins at 11:00 and ends one hour later.
3.- “SAQSAYWAMAN” .- it’s located at 2 kms from the city of Cusco at 3,560 masl. The name is in the ancient language used by the Incas (Qhechua) which translated into Spanish means “falcon, satiate”. Here the ceremony begins at 13:30pm and is for 1:30 hours.
ACTS, CEREMONIES AND RITUALS DURING THE INTI RAYMI:
• Ceremonial Introduction
• Report the army from the four regions: Qollasuyu, Kuntisuyu, Antisuyu and Chinchaysuyu.
• Ritual of the sacred “Chicha” a corn drink made by the chosen women (the most beautiful girls of the Empire)
• Ritual of the Holy Fire.
• Sacrifice of the llama (Andean cameloid) and auguries.
• Rite of the “Sankhu” (holy bread)
• “Q’ochurikuy” ( Dances and music from all Peru )
|Type of Seating||Adult (12+)||Child (3-11)||Infant (0-2)|
|Green Gallery (Economy)
10 meters / 32 feet from stage
|$188.50 each||$123.50 each||$0.00 each|
|Blue Gallery (Preferred)
17 meters / 55 feet from stage
|$240.50 each||$149.50 each||$0.00 each|
|Orange Gallery (Preferred)
25 meters / 82 feet from stage
|$240.50 each||$149.50 each||$0.00 each|
The Inti Raymi tour is ONLY available once a year, on the 24th June and advanced booking is required.
The INTI RAYMI TOUR is rated very easy. None the less, you must be able to walk for about 20 minutes comfortably.
Let’s start the celebration!!!!
Before 7:00am we will pick you up from your hotel and then transfer you to the Koricancha temple which is the temple of the sun and where the fiesta begins. Here are many typical musicians and they open the festival with a great amount of music. When the Inca court with its many nobles enter there is silence. Finally the Inca and his Coya (wife/sister) enter and there is a ceremony of veneration to the sun. The procession then continues to Huakaypata (Plaza de Armas) where the generals inspect the guardians of the city and the imperial army and the Inca makes another ceremony. After this the Inca court makes it way to Sacsayhuaman. You too will walk up to this impressive fortress.
1pm - The principal ceremony is held at Sacsayhuaman. The representation of the Inca is one of Pachacutec, which is the Inca in which the sun god (Inti) reveal his might and strength. The armies come from the four quarters (suyos) of Tahuantinsuyo (the Inca Empire) and there are different ceremonies for fire, coca, and the four quarters of the empire as well as for the future of the empire. The ceremony lasts about 90 minutes and is in Quechua but visually is powerful. Your guide will also be able to translate sections or parts of the ceremonies.
Between 3 and 4pm your guide will transfer you back to your hotel.
• Pick up from your hotels
• Ceremonies at Qoricancha and Hauqaypata (Cusco’s main square).
• Admission fee (with reserved seat in Saqsaywaman).
• Private Transport in and return
• Professional guide in English/Spanish and Quechua
• Packed lunch (Vegetarian meals by request)
• Ceremony brochure and DVD.
• Small backpack & Tennis shoes
• Bottel of wáter & Sunglasses
• Hat or cap to protect you from the sun
• Sun block (sun protection cream)
• Extra money (soles)
• Selection of small snacks, chocolate, dried fruit, biscuits etc,
• Camera, plenty of film and spare batteries
• Tips for your guide, driver, transfer agent.
• Personal expenses
• Additional tours
• Phone call and internet access
• Dinner & Drinks.
• The Inti Raymi 2018 Tour is non-transferable, non-reimbursable and the participant cannot change the date of departure.
• If during the length of the program the traveler abandons the excursion due to altitude, health, or for any other reason, no reimbursement will be made and no claim will be accepted. INTIRAYMIPERU.COM does not cover the expenses made by the traveler due to abandonement such as meals, hotel, return transportation, medical expenses, etc.
• Certain Services might be interrupted or even cancelled due to weather conditions, natural disasters or other disturbances such as civil unrest, worker strikes, etc. These are out of the control of hotels, Service suppliers, INTIRAYMIPERU.COM or its partners and therefore, no refund will be given.
• In case of force majeur, when a trek or tour cannot start or be completed, INTIRAYMIPERU.COM will find an alternative. If this alternative is of lower value than the originally booked tour, INTIRAYMIPERU.COM will refund the difference.
• It is compulsory that all clients have personal travel insurance. This insurance must cover personal accidents, medical expenses, loss of effects and all other expenses which might arise as a result of loss, damage or injury occurring to the client. INTIRAYMIPERU.COM cannot be considered responsible for any accident or loss of personal belongings the customer caused by his/her acts